Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.3.0-rc0

From: Ãvar ArnfjÃrà Bjarmason
Date: Tue Jan 20 2015 - 16:49:58 EST

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> An early preview release Git v2.3.0-rc0 is now available for
> testing at the usual places.
[...]
> Jeff King (38):
[...]
> parse_color: refactor color storage
[...]

I've had this in my .gitconfig since 2010 which was broken by Jeff's
v2.1.3-24-g695d95d:

;; Don't be so invasive about coloring ^M when I'm editing files
that
;; are supposed to have \r\n.
[color "diff"]
whitespace = 0

To test this replace \n with \r\n in a file. Before this patch you could do:

git -c color.diff.whitespace=0 show

And just get:

[red]-[/red]
[green]+[/green]

As opposed to:

git -c color.diff.whitespace=1 show

Which gives you:

[red]-
[green]+[/green][red]^M[/red]

Now that just produces:

error: invalid color value: 0
fatal: bad config variable 'color.diff.whitespace' in file
'/home/avar/.gitconfig' at line 16

Maybe breaking this is OK (but I can't find what the replacement is),
but the config or the the changelog doesn't mention breaking existing
config settings.