Re: sysfs methods can race with ->remove

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Jan 26 2015 - 12:20:04 EST

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 02:40:31PM -0500, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > If a method is registered by the driver, then the driver will
> > unregister it when the ->remove routine runs. I don't know for
> > certain, but I would expect that the sysfs/kernfs core will make sure
> > that any existing method calls complete before unregister returns.
> > This would prevent races.
>
> Yes, attribute deletions are blocked till the on-going sysfs
> read/write operations are finished and further rw accesses are failed.

Btw, where do we do that? I did a walk through the code starting
from device_del, but must have missed the obvious.

> > The sriov_numvfs_store method does have the same problem, and so does
> > the reset_store method (by way of pci_reset_function ->
> > pci_dev_save_and_disable -> pci_reset_notify).
> >
> > Tejun, is my analysis correct? How should we fix these races?
>
> I'm not really following what the actual problem case is, so SCSI
> subsystem store methods are derefing dev->driver without synchronizing
> against detach events? If that's the case, the solution would be
> synchronizing against attach/detach events? Sorry if I'm being
> totally idiotic. I'm having a bit of hard time jumping right in. :)

No problem. That's the basic situation we are talking about. I have
a serie fixing some long standing issues in the device model integration
in SCSI, and pointed out a possible issue in that area.

So what is the proper lock to take to prevent ->remove from beeing
called while in such a method? A mentioned about I tried to peel
through all the layers of the onion^H^H^H^H^Hdriver core, but so far
couldn't find anything obvious.