Re: [git pull] drm fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 27 2015 - 13:04:17 EST

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux drm-fixes

No they aren't, actually, because you've screwed up your repository.

It looks like you were using an alternates that has gone away:

remote: error: object directory
/srv/anongit.freedesktop.org/git/nouveau/linux-2.6/objects does not
exist; check .git/objects/info/alternates.
remote: error: Could not read fe06a892edbcd0cd42ea5928e4492a337e3bd90c
remote: fatal: bad tree object fe06a892edbcd0cd42ea5928e4492a337e3bd90c
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.

it really looks like you started your repo by doing a shared clone
from an insane source (ie the nouveau tree), and then the nouveau tree
got renamed or deleted (perhaps somebody decided that the whole
"linux-2.6" naming doesn't make sense any more, since we haven't been
at 2.6 for years). So now your repository depends on another repo that
is gone.

It's should be trivially fixable by just editing the git "alternates"
file to point to the proper base again, since that fe06a892edbc object
is definitely part of my base kernel, but basically you shouldn't do
shared clones unless you know you can really *rely* on the clone
you're sharing from. Doing it from some random side project like the
nouveau tree sounds like a bad bad idea.

Linus