Re: [GIT PULL] PCI fixes for v3.19

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Fri Jan 30 2015 - 16:50:00 EST

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Attached ... but I don't see any "clipped" messages
>>
>> Good. so the system should just work as before but have annoying warnings.
>>
>> Do we need to put the paper back to hide the warning?
>
> Ping, I'm not sure this is resolved.
>
> Tony, does the system work as it did before? Is the only problem that
> now we have more warnings than we did before?
>
> Yinghai, I sort of feel like I'm being left to sweep up behind your
> changes here. I *could* analyze this and figure out what's going on
> and fix it, but I don't have time to do that for everybody, and I
> consider that more your job.

Sorry to hear that.

I did respond the email, and gave the the explanation.

> If we start with the same _CRS config and same device config, ideally
> PCI enumeration would produce the same messages, same warnings, and
> same resource assignments no matter what arch we feed them to, because
> enumeration is not really arch-specific. So if ia64 does something
> different here, I think something needs to be fixed.

ia64 was doing different,
1. It check if the range is valid with bus resources. and only call
pci_claim_resource for that path.
2. and it does not reset invalid resource to allocate new one.

This patch change to call pci_claim_resource directly, so we have warning now.
but just warning as we did not reset the resource.

Thanks

Yinghai