Re: [RFC 0/3] Slab allocator array operations

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer
Date: Tue Feb 03 2015 - 18:19:45 EST

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:28:00 -0600 (CST)
Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:37:27 -0600 Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Attached a series of 3 patches to implement functionality to allocate
> > > arrays of pointers to slab objects. This can be used by the slab
> > > allocators to offer more optimized allocation and free paths.
> >
> > What's the driver for this? The networking people, I think? If so,
> > some discussion about that would be useful: who is involved, why they
> > have this need, who are the people we need to bug to get it tested,
> > whether this implementation is found adequate, etc.

Yes, networking people like me ;-)

I promised Christoph that I will performance benchmark this. I'll start
by writing/performing some micro benchmarks, but it first starts to get
really interesting once we plug it into e.g. the networking stack, as
effects as instruction-cache misses due to code size starts to play a
role.

> Jesper and I gave a talk at LCA about this. LWN has an article on it.

LWN: Improving Linux networking performance
- http://lwn.net/Articles/629155/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XG9-X777Jo

LWN: Toward a more efficient slab allocator
- http://lwn.net/Articles/629152/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0lZzP1jOzI

--
Best regards,