Re: [RFC 00/10] Freescale DPAA B/QMan drivers

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Feb 04 2015 - 13:42:00 EST

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 08:48:32AM -0600, Emil Medve wrote:

> Hello,
>

> This is the first attempt to publish the Freescale DPAA B/QMan drivers. They are
> not to be applied yet. At this stage, this is more or less the drivers from the
> Freescale PowerPC SDK roughly squashed and split in a sequence of component
> patches. They still needs some work and cleanup before we expect to have them
> applied, but we appreciate early feedback

First off, why put these in staging? What's keeping them from being
merged "properly"?

Secondly, if they are going to go into staging, then I need a TODO file
in the directory of the driver listing what needs to be done to move the
code out of staging, and who is responsible for the code. Ideally a
MAINTAINERS entry as well.

And finally, staging drivers should be self-contained, your .h files:

> include/linux/fsl_bman.h | 517 +++++
> include/linux/fsl_qman.h | 1955 +++++++++++++++++

Need to be in drivers/staging/<DRIVER_DIR>/ not in include/linux/
espeically as nothing outside of your driver needs these .h files.

thanks,

greg k-h