Re: [RFC] Implement ambient capability set.

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Wed Feb 04 2015 - 17:02:20 EST

Quoting Serge E. Hallyn (serge@xxxxxxxxxx):
> Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> > On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> > > Do you mean if we didn't require NNP? I'm suggesting that even if
> > > we require NNP we should restrict any new bits added to pA to be
> > > in pP at the prctl call. Then whether or not to drop them from
> > > pA when they are dropped from pP, I'm not yet certain.
> >
> > I mean regardless of whether we require NNP.
> >
> > I think that, unless we change the evolution rule, we would need to
> > drop from pA when bits are dropped from pP to preserve the idea that
> > dropping bits from pP drops them for good (as long as ruid != 0 or
> > some securebit is set).
>
> Ok, so iiuc the rules would be:
>
> 1. must set nnp and have ns_capable(CAP_SETPCAP) to
> call prctl(PR_SET_AMBIENT_WHATEVER)
>
> 2. adding bits to pA requires they be in pP at prctl time
>
> 3. dropping bits from pP drops them also from pA
>
> 4. at exec, fP |= pA; pA' = pA

Actually I'm tempted to say that if fP is not empty, then we stick with current
rules for fP/pP and clear out pA. If fP is empty, then fP = pA

Then, if fP is not empty on the file, we either drop nnp at exec (or
don't use nnp at all), or we refuse exec if fP > pA.

We definately do not want to run a file which has capability X
in fP, when X is not in pA.