Re: a method to distinguish between syscall-enter/exit-stop

From: Dmitry V. Levin
Date: Fri Feb 06 2015 - 22:05:04 EST

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 05:07:41PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Dmitry V. Levin <ldv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> That might be a nice idea. I haven't written a test to see, but what
> >> does PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG return on syscall-enter/exit-stop?
> >
> > The value returned by PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG is the value set along with the
> > latest PTRACE_EVENT_*.
> > In case of syscall-enter/exit-stop (which is not a PTRACE_EVENT_*),
> > there is no particular value set for PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG.
>
> Could we define one to help distinguish?

I suppose we could define one, but performing extra PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG
for every syscall-stop may be too expensive.

For example, strace makes about 4.5 syscalls per syscall-stop.
The minimum is 4 syscalls: wait4, PTRACE_GETREGSET, write, and PTRACE_SYSCALL;
processing some syscall-stops may require additional process_vm_readv calls.

That is, forcing strace to make extra PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG per syscall-stop
would result to about 20% more syscalls per syscall-stop, that is a
noticeable cost.

A better alternative is to define an event that wouldn't require this
extra PTRACE_GETEVENTMSG per syscall-stop. For example, it could be a
PTRACE_EVENT_SYSCALL_ENTRY and/or PTRACE_EVENT_SYSCALL_EXIT. In practice,
adding just one of these two events would be enough to distinguish two
kinds of syscall-stops. Adding two events would look less surprising,
though.

If the decision would be to add both events, I'd recommend adding just one
new option to cover both events - there is a room only for 32 different
PTRACE_O_* options.

--
ldv