Re: [GIT PULL] Kselftest updates for 3.20-rc1

From: Michael Ellerman
Date: Mon Feb 09 2015 - 19:44:09 EST

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 17:36 -0700, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 02/09/2015 05:30 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 11:36 -0700, Shuah Khan wrote:
> >> Hi Linus,
> >>
> >> Please pull the following Kselftest updates for 3.20-rc1
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> -- Shuah
> >>
> >> The following changes since commit 97bf6af1f928216fd6c5a66e8a57bfa95a659672:
> >>
> >> Linux 3.19-rc1 (2014-12-20 17:08:50 -0800)
> >>
> >> are available in the git repository at:
> >>
> >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux-kselftest
> >> tags/linux-kselftest-3.20-rc1
> >>
> >> for you to fetch changes up to 6ddf898c23d62c974e148efd9e509731324a167a:
> >>
> >> selftests/exec: Check if the syscall exists and bail if not
> >> (2015-02-04 10:17:35 -0700)

> >> Kselftest updates for 3.20-rc1
> >>
> >> This update adds:
> >> - Kselftest install target feature
> >> - Fix for selftests/exec test

> >> Michael Ellerman (1):
> >> selftests/exec: Check if the syscall exists and bail if not
> >>
> >> Shuah Khan (20):
> >> selftests/breakpoints: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/cpu-hotplug: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/efivarfs: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/firmware: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/ftrace: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/ipc: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/kcmp: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/memfd: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/memory-hotplug: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/mount: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/mqueue: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/net: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/ptrace: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/size: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/sysctl: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/timers: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/user: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests/vm: add install target to enable test install
> >> selftests: add install target to enable test install
> >> kbuild: add a new kselftest_install make target to install selftests
> >

> > I don't understand why you insist on merging this series with the logic copied
> > 18 times.
> >
> > I'm happy to tweak my series that uses an include file, but I don't see the
> > point of merging this series first when almost every line will be removed when
> > my series goes in.
>
> Please work on the suggestions I made and rework the patches
> and resend. As I mentioned earlier, I want to enable this work
> and them make improvements.

Yes I would like install to work to. I'd also like it to work for the powerpc
tests you ignored. But I don't want it to involve copying the same logic into
every Makefile in the tree.

My series was sent over a month ago, with plenty of time for you to merge it
instead of this cut-and-paste solution.

cheers