Re: [Patch 3/3] firmware: dmi_scan: use full dmi version for SMBIOS3

From: Ivan Khoronzhuk
Date: Wed Feb 11 2015 - 05:08:10 EST

On 02/11/2015 11:55 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
On 11 February 2015 at 17:46, Ivan Khoronzhuk
<ivan.khoronzhuk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
New SMBIOS3 spec adds additional field for versioning - docrev.
The docrev identifies the revision of a specification implemented in
the table structures, so display SMBIOS version > 3 in format,
like: 3.22.1

It's not affect on other part of code because version number
is analyzed using comparing, and it's obvious that 0x000208 is less
than 0x030201 for example.

I don't think the spec forbids passing a 3.0+ table using the legacy
32-bit entry point, in which case the packing of the version could
potentially become a problem.

I don't care deeply about the docrev, so I think we could drop this
patch, but if others feel differently, could we at least pack the
version in a consistent manner (i.e., always account for docrev, and
set it to 0 if the 32-bit entry point is used?)

If others are OK, I can add docrev for 32 bit 3+ versions.