Re: runtime check for omap-aes bus access permission (was: Re: 3.13-rc3 (commit 7ce93f3) breaks Nokia N900 DT boot)

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Wed Feb 18 2015 - 16:15:11 EST

<pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> >> [10] -
> >> [11] page domain fault
> >> [12] bus error on section table walk
> >> [13] section permission fault
> >> [14] bus error on page table walk
> >> [15] page permission fault
> >> [16] (TLB conflict abort)
> >> [17] -
> >> [18] -
> >> [19] -
> >> [20] (lockdown abort)
> >> [21] -
> >> [22] async bus error (reported via data abort)
> >> [23] -
> >> [24] async parity/ECC error (reported via data abort)
> >> [25] parity/ECC error on access
> >> [26] (coprocessor abort)
> >> [27] -
> >> [28] parity/ECC error on section table walk
> >> [29] -
> >> [30] parity/ECC error on page table walk
> >> [31] -
> >>
> >> Some entries are patched up near the bottom of fault.c but
> >> many bogus messages remain, for example the "on linefetch"
> >> vs "on non-linefetch" is misleading since no such thing
> >> can be inferred from the fault status on v7. Also, the
> >> i-cache maintenance fault handling looks wrong to me: it
> >> should fetch the actual fault status from IFSR (even
> >> though the address still comes from DFSR) and dispatch
> >> based on that.
> >>
> >> Async external aborts (async bus error and async parity/ECC
> >> error) give you basically no info. DFAR will contain
> >> garbage hence displaying it will confuse rather than
> >> enlighten, a traceback is pointless since the instruction
> >> that caused the access is long retired, likewise
> >> user_mode() doesn't matter since a transition to kernel
> >> space may have happened after the access that cause the
> >> abort. Basically they should be treated more as an IRQ
> >> than as a fault (note they can also be masked just like
> >> irqs). In case of a bus error, it may be appropriate to
> >> just warn about it, or perhaps send a signal to the
> >> current process, although in the latter case it should
> >> have some means to distinguish it from a synchronous bus
> >> error.
> >>
> >> At least on the cortex-a8, a parity/ECC error (whether
> >> async or not) is to be regarded as absolutely fatal.
> >> Quoth the TRM: "No recovery is possible. The abort handler
> >> must disable the caches, communicate the fail directly
> >> with the external system, request a reboot."
> >>
> >> Bit 10 no longer indicates an asynchronous (let alone
> >> imprecise) fault. Apart from the debug events and async
> >> aborts (and possibly some implementation-defined aborts),
> >> all aborts listed are synchronous, and DFAR/IFAR is valid.
> >> There's no technical obstruction to make these trappable
> >> via the kernel exception handling mechanism. (Though at
> >> least in case of parity/ECC errors one shouldn't.)
> >
> > Tony, Nishanth, or somebody else... can you help with memory
> > management? Or do you know some expert for arch/arm/mm/
> > code?
>
> Folks in linux-arm-kernel are probably the right people, I

Hi folks in linux-arm-kernel!

Can you help us with above problem? How to catch external abort
on non-linefetch in kernel driver and prevent kernel panic?

Here is that kernel panic log:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/108397/

We want to check for "Unhandled fault: external abort on non-
linefetch" and if it happens disable some functionality in kernel
driver omap-aes.ko

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx