Re: live kernel upgrades (was: live kernel patching design)

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Sun Feb 22 2015 - 14:03:19 EST

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

> Yes, there have been some suggestions that we should support multiple
> consistency models, but I haven't heard any good reasons that would
> justify the added complexity.

I tend to agree, consistency models were just a temporary idea that seems
to likely become unnecessary given all the ideas on the unified solution
that have been presented so far.

(Well, with a small exception to this -- I still think we should be able
to "fire and forget" for patches where it's guaranteed that no
housekeeping is necessary -- my favorite example is again fixing out of
bounds access in a certain syscall entry ... i.e. the "super-simple"
consistency model).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs