Re: cgroup: status-quo and userland efforts

From: Luke Leighton
Date: Tue Mar 03 2015 - 16:38:59 EST

Tejun Heo <tj@...> writes:

> Hello, Tim.
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 08:42:21PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > OK, then what I don't know is what is the new interface? A new cgroupfs?
>
> It's gonna be a new mount option for cgroupfs.
>
> > DTF and CPU and cpuset all have "default" groups for some tasks (and
> > not others) in our world today. DTF actually has default, prio, and
> > "normal". I was simplifying before. I really wish it were as simple
> > as you think it is. But if it were, do you think I'd still be
> > arguing?
>
> How am I supposed to know when you don't communicate it but just wave
> your hands saying it's all very complicated?

i'd say that tejun's got you there, tim. how is anyone supposed to
understand or help you to support what your team is doing if the entire
work - no matter how good it is - is kept secret and proprietary?

we *know* that secret and proprietary is risky, so why is the company
that you work for indulging itself in such dangerous practices,
especially when there appears to be so much at risk here if the only
mindshare for the work you're doing exists solely and exclusively
in some "secret lair"?

my suggestion to you would be to urgently, *urgently* get the *entire*
set of tools and documentation surrounding what is clearly mission
critical infrastructure released *immediately* as a software libre
project.

and the second suggestion would - if they are amenable - to hire
tejun and any of his associates - to come over for as long as possible
and necessary to review what you've been doing, on site, giving
them carte blanche (or even a remit) to update and refine the online
documentation.

without that happening - without there being publicly-available
documentation - i really don't see how you can be expected to ask
tejun to understand the complexity of what the team needs, when the
majority of what you want - and need! - to say you *can't*... because
you're under some bloody stupid NDA! that's... insane!

you *need mindshare*: that means releasing the tools and documentation
as a software libre project so that, if nothing else, there's other
people whom the company you work for can poach when they get proficient
at working with it :)

l.