Re: [RFC] ->poll() bugs

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Mar 07 2015 - 15:53:21 EST

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most of the catch consists of ->poll() instances that return -E...; there's
> also an unpleasant mess in net/9p/trans_fd.c and a braino in sunrpc
> unexpectedly caught by the same annotations.

Hmm. I do wonder if we should just *allow* ->poll() to return an
error, and just turn it into "all bits set"?

But if getting sparse to catch them all isn't *too* painful and the
patch doesn't end up being horribly big, then I guess that's ok.

> Linus, what do you think about putting those annotations into mainline during
> the next cycle?

Just how big is that annotation patch? We have a *lot* of poll
functions, don't we? If they all need to be changed, just how bad is
the noise for that?

Linus