Re: linux-next: manual merge of the net-next tree with the vfs tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Fri Mar 13 2015 - 00:38:42 EST

Hi Al,

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 03:56:09 +0000 Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:24:26PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> > From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:15:43 +1100
> >
> > > Today's linux-next merge of the net-next tree got a conflict in
> > > net/socket.c between commits 005139a14660 ("fs: remove ki_nbytes") and
> > > e9eab93cc2dc ("fs: don't allow to complete sync iocbs through
> > > aio_complete") from the vfs tree and commit 1b784140474e ("net: Remove
> > > iocb argument from sendmsg and recvmsg") from the net-next tree.
> > >
> > > I fixed it up (mainly using the net-next version - see below) and can
> > > carry the fix as necessary (no action is required).
> >
> > Al, how do you want to resolve this?
>
> Hmm... I could backmerge 1b784140474e4fc94281a49e96c67d29df0efbde into
> vfs.git#for-next, of course, but you've got quite a pile of stuff in front
> of it... FWIW, the conflict resolution proposed by Stephen is correct;
> the question is what should go into which tree.
>
> Actually, prereqs of the commit in question on vfs.git side are mostly
> -stable fodder; all it really needs is vfs.git#gadget and I was planning
> to send that to Linus - fixes for leaks and use-after-free in gadgetfs
> that had been there since forever, plus fixes for regression since 3.18
> (->f_op flipping that had always been fishy and outright broke when we
> started to FMODE_CAN_READ/FMODE_CAN_WRITE). USB folks seem to be OK
> with it. Christoph's patch isn't a regression fix, but seeing that it's
> (a) trivial and (b) ends up causing merge headache... Maybe it would
> make sense to pull it into mainline and resolve the conflict on backmerge
> from mainline to net-next. Linus? I've pushed that (gadget + ki_nbytes)
> into vfs.git#for-linus-2; would you be OK with pulling that?
>
> It's on
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus-2
>
> Shortlog:
> Al Viro (8):
> new helper: dup_iter()
> move iov_iter.c from mm/ to lib/
> gadget/function/f_fs.c: close leaks
> gadget/function/f_fs.c: use put iov_iter into io_data
> gadget/function/f_fs.c: switch to ->{read,write}_iter()
> gadgetfs: use-after-free in ->aio_read()
> gadget: switch ep_io_operations to ->read_iter/->write_iter
> gadgetfs: get rid of flipping ->f_op in ep_config()
>
> Alan Stern (1):
> gadgetfs: really get rid of switching ->f_op
>
> Christoph Hellwig (1):
> fs: remove ki_nbytes

There is also a conflict with e9eab93cc2dc ("fs: don't allow to
complete sync iocbs through aio_complete"), though it doesn't show up
in the resolution since I I just used the next-next tree bits. So a
common branch containing that as well could be merged into both trees.

But none of this is really that complex, maybe worth a hint to Linus
during the merge window. Unless there is more planned for that file?
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx