Re: [git pull] drm fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Mar 21 2015 - 13:51:11 EST

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In other news I've some problem with my git tree and git request-pull
> [airlied@dreadlord-bne-redhat-com linux]$ git request-pull linus/master origin
>
> warn: No match for commit 8265d4486d5c2448a1c645fdc20d4e62873d9c3d found at origin
> warn: Are you sure you pushed 'HEAD' there?

This generally happens if you don't have the same symbolic names
(branch or tag) locally and remotely.

If your local branch name is "linus/master", and your remote one is
just "master", then do what you would do for a "git push": tell git
with the 'local':'remote' syntax _both_ branch names. So something
like

git request-pull linus/master:master origin

should have made request-pull understand to look for the commit at
'master' on the remote side.

That said, when you have a multi-branch setup like you do, I actually
would prefer that you *not* send me "master", but instead send me the
branch (among many) that is clearly for me. So I'd prefer "for-linus"
or similar, simply because it's clearly and explicitly directed at me
and not just some default branch.

Of course, even better would be if you used signed tags.

Linus