Re: another pmem variant V2

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Mar 26 2015 - 13:19:06 EST

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 06:57:47PM +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> For one this auto discovery of yours is very (very) nice but is a bit
> inconvenience. Before I would reserve a big chuck on each NUMA range
> on Kernel's memmap= And then at pmem map= would slice and dice it
> as I want hot style on modprobe with no need for reboot. Now I need
> to do it on reboot theoretically. (You know xfstest needs lots of devices
> some big some small ;-))

Slicing up a block device based on kernel options is not exactly a smart
idea. We have partitions that are perfectly fine for that. If you
really don't are about persistance of your partitioning you can just
set up a device mapper table. No need to reinvent the wheel.

> Also with the modprob pmem map= I was supporting a PCIE memory card but
> I guess I need to throw this one out the door.

Send it my way to support it properly... Just like any other PCIe device it
should have a proper driver. For now it can register a pmem platform device,
but when you submit it I'd rather add slightly more low-level versions
of pmem_probe and pmem_remove that take a struct device * and possibly
a resource structure so that you can directly call into it.