Re: [tip:perf/timer] perf: Add per event clockid support

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Mar 27 2015 - 12:57:58 EST

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 09:52:25AM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Ok, I see. But on architectures which do not have NMI, they would all
> be safe. And that would work if they set the PERF_PMU_CAP_NO_NMI flag
> on their pmu->capabilities.

Indeed so. I have not audited them all as the current 'default' is safe.

> Next, I am trying to understand how perf is going to expose this. I am
> thinking about this in the context of my jitted code patches.

I send you some preliminary patches for this.

> With this approach, the jit runtime and the perf tool need to agree on
> the clock they are using. That mean they need to advertise or document
> the clock they use

This is indeed still missing, I put an XXX question in one of the
emails to this effect. I suppose we should store the used clockid in the
data file. I just haven't figured out how all that code works.

> and there needs to be an option in perf record to pass that same
> clockid.

I did indeed post a patch to do that.