Re: CVE-2014-8159 kernel: infiniband: uverbs: unprotected physical memory access

From: Yann Droneaud
Date: Fri Apr 03 2015 - 07:50:39 EST

Hi,

Le vendredi 03 avril 2015 Ã 08:39 +0000, Haggai Eran a Ãcrit :
> On Thursday, April 2, 2015 11:40 PM, Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 02 avril 2015 Ã 16:44 +0000, Shachar Raindel a Ãcrit :

There's a difference: it's impossible to give a valid non-ODP rkey that
point to a memory region not already mapped (backed by a file for
example), so the application *choose* the content of the memory to be
made accessible remotely before making it accessible.

As I understand the last explanation regarding ODP, at creation time,
an ODP rkey can point to a free, unused, unallocated memory portion.
At this point the kernel can happily map anything the application
(and its libraries) want to map at a (almost) *random* address that
could be in (or partially in) the ODP memory region.

And I have a problem with such random behavior. Allowing this is seems
dangerous and should be done with care.

I believe the application must kept the control of what's end up in its
ODP registered memory region.

Especially for multi thread program: imagine one thread creating a large
memory region for its future purposes, then send the rkey to a remote
peer and wait for some work to be done.
In the mean time another call mmap(0, ...) to map a file at a kernel
chosen address, and that address happen to be in the memory region
registered by the other thread:

1) the first thread is amputated from a portion of memory it was
willing to use;
2) the data used by the second thread is accessible to the remote
peer(s) while not expected.

Speculatively registering memory seems dangerous for any use case I
could think of.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud