Re: patch "drivers: thermal: st: remove several sparse warnings" added to thermal-soc tree

From: Lee Jones
Date: Wed Apr 08 2015 - 06:16:27 EST

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015, Pavel Machek wrote:

> On Wed 2015-04-08 10:45:07, Lee Jones wrote:

> > > Cc means -- that person was Cced.
> >
> > You just made that up out of thin air. That's not what it means at all.
> >
> > Documentation/SubmittingPatches:
> >
> > "If a person has had the opportunity to comment on a patch,
> > but has not provided such comments, you may optionally add a
> > "Cc:" tag to the patch. This is the only tag which might be
> > added without an explicit action by the person it names - but
> > it should indicate that this person was copied on the patch.
> > This tag documents that potentially interested parties have
> > been included in the discussion."
> >
> > To add people on Cc, then immediately apply the patch is fundamentally
> > wrong.
>
> That is not how I seen it working before.

But now you know what they are meant to be for and you can spread the
word appropriately.

> > > And there's no harm in having patch available in git for easy testing.
> >
> > If we weren't so deep into the release cycle, I'd agree with you. But
> > even if we weren't so close to the merge-window, I'd still expect a
> > note to the tune of "tentatively applying this for reason X for early
> > soak testing in -next". Although X would have to be a pretty good
> > reason, as that's not usually how we do things.
>
> Patches should spend a week or so in -next (that's documented
> somewhere), so people in the Cc list will have their chance to
> comment.

Yes they should, _after_ reviewing. Chucking patches into -next
before others have been given a chance to review is _not_ the right
thing to do. If everyone did that -next would be unbuildable and
unusable. Patches should only be sucked into -next when a certain
level of quality has been reached. That level is obtained in our case
by peer review.

I've said my piece on this now and shall not be discussing it further,
as I have proper work to be getting on with.

--
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead