Re: [RFC] new locking primitive (pulled from fs_pin)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 13 2015 - 17:37:58 EST

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This thing used to be the locking side of fs/fs_pin.c, but
> IMO it might make sense to separate it from fs_pin completely -
> it could be useful elsewhere...
>
> Comments (and especially suggestions on better names) are welcome...

I don't mind abstracting it out, but I would prefer that it stay local
to fs_pin.c until there's a clear case for using it anywhere else.

Do you really have any usage cases that are interesting? Because quite
frankly, I'm not a fan of the nasty fs-pin code, and I would *not*
want the ideas in there to bleed out anywhere else.

So my gut feel is that it's a good thing to try to abstract out that
mess, but not a good idea to spread it out.

(I do realize that without the cross-file movement, the patch
basically just boils down to abstracting out that "finished_killing()"
into a helper function and little else)

Linus