Re: linux-next: Tree for Apr 14 (crash due to modpost patch)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Apr 14 2015 - 12:11:39 EST

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 06:42:44PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please do not add any v4.2 material to your linux-next included trees
> until after v4.1-rc1 is released.
>
> Changes since 20150413:
>
> Dropped tree: idle (complex conflict)
>
> The arm-soc tree still had its build failure for which I reverted
> a commit.
>
> The vfs tree gained conflicts against the ext4 and xfs trees.
>
> The pm tree lost its build failure.
>
> The idle tree gained a complex conflict against the pm tree so I dropped
> it for today.
>
> The irqchip tree lost its build failure.
>
> The ftrace tree gained a conflict against the net-next tree.
>
> The rcu tree stilll had its build failure for which I reverted a commit.
>
> The xen-tip tree gained a build failure so I used the version from
> next-20150410.
>
> Non-merge commits (relative to Linus' tree): 9605
> 8774 files changed, 407882 insertions(+), 199408 deletions(-)

This version results in a modpost crash when building a score target.

/bin/sh: line 1: 18057 Floating point exception(core dumped) scripts/mod/modpost -o ./Module.symvers -S vmlinux.o
scripts/Makefile.modpost:97: recipe for target 'vmlinux.o' failed
make[1]: *** [vmlinux.o] Error 136
Makefile:949: recipe for target 'vmlinux' failed
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 2

Culprit is commit 52dc0595d540 ("modpost: handle relocations mismatch in
__ex_table.). That patch has a number of problems.

+ if (!extable_entry_size && cur == start + 1 &&
+ strcmp("__ex_table", sec) == 0)
+ extable_entry_size = r->r_offset * 2;

Debugging shows that "cur - start" can be anywhere in multiples of 8
(arm, score) to 24 (alpha). I have never seen it to be 1. As a result,
extable_entry_size will never be set, or at least not for the
architectures I looked at.

+static inline bool is_extable_fault_address(Elf_Rela *r)
+{
+ if (!extable_entry_size == 0)
+ fatal("extable_entry size hasn't been discovered!\n");

"!extable_entry_size == 0" is true if extable_entry_size is not 0.
Presumably that was supposed to be "if (extable_entry_size == 0)"
or "if (!extable_entry_size)".

+ return ((r->r_offset == 0) ||
+ (r->r_offset % extable_entry_size == 0));

So this code will execute if extable_entry_size==0, predictably causing
the observed crash.

I still don't know why this is triggered when building a score image.
It appears that some __ex_table entry causes the problem. Which may or
may not be a problem. Personally I think it is a bit rude to abort
compilation because of it.

Guenter