Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Al Viro
Date: Wed Apr 15 2015 - 08:55:42 EST

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 01:49:36PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > There is no comparison between the elegance of X11 property setting and a
> > chunk of proposed kernel code that is half the size of a tiny X server!
>
> Hey, take that up with Havoc, he made the comparison :)

Let me get it straight - you swing the reference to his posting as damn nearly
the main argument, and yet you make _this_ reply when it gets questioned?
Seriously?

There's nothing wrong with "go read $PAPER, a lot of your questions are
addressed there", but only if you are ready to answer the questions and
objections from those who have read it. "Hey, take that up with
$AUTHOR" doesn't cut it; try anything even remotely similar with e.g.
reviewers of academic paper and see where it ends up.

Havoc isn't submitting that thing; you are. If you are not qualified to
defend your design and he is, try to talk him into doing that.

Frankly, the longer it goes, the less I like the picture. It will be up to
Linus, of course, but IMO the whole situation seriously stinks. ;-/