Re: [RFC 1/4] fs: Add generic file system event notifications

From: Beata Michalska
Date: Fri Apr 17 2015 - 12:25:58 EST

On 04/17/2015 06:08 PM, John Spray wrote:

> On 17/04/2015 16:43, Jan Kara wrote:

>>> Another key differentiation IMHO is between transient errors (like
>>> server is unavailable in a distributed filesystem) that will block
>>> the filesystem but might clear on their own, vs. permanent errors
>>> like unreadable drives that definitely will not clear until the
>>> administrator takes some action. It's usually a reasonable
>>> approximation to call transient issues warnings, and permanent
>>> issues errors.
>> So you can have events like FS_UNAVAILABLE and FS_AVAILABLE but what use
>> would this have? I wouldn't like the interface to be dumping ground for
>> random crap - we have dmesg for that :).
> In that case I'm confused -- why would ENOSPC be an appropriate use of this interface if the mount being entirely blocked would be inappropriate? Isn't being unable to service any I/O a more fundamental and severe thing than being up and healthy but full?
>
> Were you intending the interface to be exclusively for data integrity issues like checksum failures, rather than more general events about a mount that userspace would probably like to know about?
>
> John

I think we should support both and leave the decision on what
is to be reported or not to particular file systems keeping it
to a reasonable extent, of course. The interface should hand it over
to user space - acting as a go-between. I would though avoid
any filesystem specific events (when it comes to specifying those),
keeping it as generic as possible.

BR
Beata