Re: [patch 10/10] perf_event_open.2: 4.0 update rdpmc documentation

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Mon Apr 20 2015 - 10:38:15 EST

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 11:20 AM, Vince Weaver wrote:
> > Probably a better change would have been to add "2" to mean per-process
> > and make that the default setting. Probably too late to fix that now.
>
> Good point. I wish you'd thought of that sooner :(

Well it's been a busy semester and so I've had less time than normal to
play perf_event ABI police.

I also was surprised this particular patch managed to get into 4.0 so
quickly; I thought it was going to be a 4.1 change when I added it to my
"changesets to look at more closely" list.

In any case most people won't notice this change. It will be a minor
inconvenience for HPC people doing complicated homebrew self monitoring
(especially if RHEL backports the patch and then suddenly things break and
a simple "well are you running 4.0 or newer" is meaningless). Using
the value in /sys/devices/cpu/rdpmc to help debug the problem wouldn't
have worked anyway because it looks like non-root can't do that.

Vince