Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Tue Apr 21 2015 - 08:09:08 EST

On 2015-04-20 16:26, George Spelvin wrote:
It's used everywhere, on servers,
embedded systems, desktops, you name it. All languages have bindings
for it, and it's the underpinning of a modern Linux stack.

Since when? D-bus is some GUI depoendency. On my console-only servers, it's
not needed, and not installed:

# dpkg-query -s libdbus-1-3 dbus
dpkg-query: package 'libdbus-1-3' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'dbus' is not installed and no information is available
# dpkg-query -l \*dbus\*
dpkg-query: no packages found matching *dbus*

Same here, but I use Gentoo, so it's easy to avoid stuff you don't want ;)
[...]
Richard Weinberger wrote:
And no systemd. Udev actually does something useful, so I have it on my
desktop, but I have machines with a static /dev instead.
Likewise, I get by just fine with OpenRC, eudev, and Monit, the combination of which provides all the functionality of SystemD that I actually care about.