Re: [RFC] capabilities: Ambient capabilities

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Fri Apr 24 2015 - 14:42:11 EST

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Christoph Lameter (cl@xxxxxxxxx):

>> > Are we going to get a new version?
>>
>> Replying to my own here. Cant we simply use the SETPCAP approach as per
>> the patch I posted?
>
> Andy had objections to that, but it seems ok to me.

I object because CAP_SETPCAP is very powerful whereas
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE, for example, isn't. I'm fine with having a
switch to turn off ambient caps, but requiring the "on" state to give
processes superpowers seems unfortunate.

Sorry for the huge delay. I got caught up with travel and the merge
window. Here's a sneak peek:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/luto/linux.git/log/?h=cap_ambient

I need to write the user code to go with it and test it a bit before
sending it out for real.

--Andy