Re: [RFC 00/12] On-demand device registration

From: Tomeu Vizoso
Date: Tue Apr 28 2015 - 08:50:22 EST

On 25 April 2015 at 01:15, Alexander Holler <holler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 24.04.2015 um 16:47 schrieb Tomeu Vizoso:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while reading the thread [0] that Alexander Holler started with his series to make probing order deterministic, it occurred to me that it should be possible to achieve the same by probing devices as they are referenced by other devices.
>>
>> This basically reuses the information that is already embedded in the probe() implementations, saving us from refactoring existing drivers or adding information to DTBs.
>>
>> The main issue I see is that the registration code path in some subsystems may not be reentrant, so some refactoring of the locking will be needed. In my testing I have found this problem with regulators, as the supply of a regulator might end up being registered during the registration of the first one.
>>
>> Something I'm not completely happy with is that I have had to move the population of the device tree after all platform drivers have been registered. Otherwise I don't see how I could register drivers on demand as we don't have yet each driver's compatible strings.
>>
>> I have done my testing on a Tegra124-based Chromebook, and these patches were enough to eliminate all the deferred probes.
>
> First you have to solve a problem which is totally unrelated to DT or
> ACPI or x86 or ARM:
>
> I think as long as drivers don't register themself whithout any side
> effect, this problem isn't solvable. In order to make an ordered list of
> drivers to start, you need to know which drivers are actually available.

Yeah, I kind of side-stepped that issue by waiting until all drivers
have been registered before registering devices. I think someone
suggested doing so in your thread (maybe Grant?).

There's lots of things that can be improved regarding driver and
device initialization, but we have to start somewhere :)

Thanks,

Tomeu