Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: David Lang
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 20:18:43 EST

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, Dave Airlie wrote:

On 30 April 2015 at 10:05, David Lang <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:26:59PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:

If your customers wnat this feature, you're more than welcome to fork
the kernel and support it yourself. Oh wait... Redhat does that
already. So what's the problem? Just put it into RHEL (which I use
I admit, along with Debian/Mint) and be done with it.

Harald,

If you make the RHEL initramfs harder to debug in the field, I will
await the time when some Red Hat field engineers will need to do the
same sort of thing I have had to do in the field, and be amused when
they want to shake you very warmly by the throat. :-)

Seriously, keep things as simple as possible in the initramfs; don't
use complicated bus protocols; that way lies madness. Enterprise
systems aren't constantly booting (or they shouldn't be, if your
kernels are sufficiently reliable :-), so trying to optimize for an
extra 2 or 3 seconds worth of boot time really, REALLY isn't worth it.

I've had Enterprise systems where I could hit power on two boxes, and finish
the OS install on one before the other has even finished POST and look for
the boot media. I did this 5 years ago, before the "let's speed up boot"
push started.

Admittedly, this wasn't a stock distro boot/install, it was my own optimized
one, but it also wasn't as optimized and automated as it could have been
(several points where the installer needed to pick items from a menu and
enter values)

You guys might have missed this new industry trend, I think they call
it virtualisation,

I hear it's going to be big, you might want to look into it.

So what do you run your virtual machines on? you still have to put an OS on the hardware to support your VMs. Virtualization doesn't eliminate servers (as much as some cloud advocates like to claim it does)

And virtualization has overhead, sometimes very significant overhead, so it's not always the right answer.

David Lang