Re: Tux3 Report: How fast can we fsync?

From: Christian Stroetmann
Date: Sat May 02 2015 - 13:00:38 EST

On 2nd of May 2015 18:30, Richard Weinberger wrote:
On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Christian Stroetmann
<stroetmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On the 2nd of May 2015 12:26, Daniel Phillips wrote:

Aloha everybody

On Friday, May 1, 2015 6:07:48 PM PDT, David Lang wrote:
On Fri, 1 May 2015, Daniel Phillips wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2015 8:38:55 AM PDT, Dave Chinner wrote:

Well, yes - I never claimed XFS is a general purpose filesystem. It
is a high performance filesystem. Is is also becoming more relevant
to general purpose systems as low cost storage gains capabilities
that used to be considered the domain of high performance storage...

OK. Well, Tux3 is general purpose and that means we care about single
spinning disk and small systems.

keep in mind that if you optimize only for the small systems you may not
scale as well to the larger ones.

Tux3 is designed to scale, and it will when the time comes. I look forward
to putting Shardmap through its billion file test in due course. However,
right now it would be wise to stay focused on basic functionality suited to
a workstation because volunteer devs tend to have those. After that, phones
are a natural direction, where hard core ACID commit and really smooth file
ops are particularly attractive.

Has anybody else a deja vu?
Yes, the onto-troll strikes again...

Everybody has her/his own interpretation about what open source means.

I really thought there could be some kind of a constructive discussion about such a file system or at least about interesting technical features that can be used for other file systems like e.g. a potential EXT5, when I relaxed my position some days ago and proposed that also ideas are referenced correctly in relation with open source projects, specifically in relation with Tux3.
Now, I have the impression that this is not possible and due to this any progress is hard to achieve.

Thanks
Best Regards
Do not feed the trolls.
C.S.