Re: question about RCU dynticks_nesting

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon May 04 2015 - 16:15:12 EST

On 05/04/2015 04:02 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 03:39:25PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

>>> Depends on exactly what you are asking. If you are asking if I could add
>>> a few more checks to preemptible RCU and speed up grace-period detection
>>> in a number of cases, the answer is very likely "yes". This is on my
>>> list, but not particularly high priority. If you are asking whether
>>> CPU 0 could access ->rcu_read_lock_nesting of some task running on
>>> some other CPU, in theory, the answer is "yes", but in practice that
>>> would require putting full memory barriers in both rcu_read_lock()
>>> and rcu_read_unlock(), so the real answer is "no".
>>>
>>> Or am I missing your point?
>>
>> The main question is "how can we greatly reduce the overhead
>> of nohz_full, by simplifying the RCU extended quiescent state
>> code called in the syscall fast path, and maybe piggyback on
>> that to do time accounting for remote CPUs?"
>>
>> Your memory barrier answer above makes it clear we will still
>> want to do the RCU stuff at syscall entry & exit time, at least
>> on x86, where we already have automatic and implicit memory
>> barriers.
>
> We do need to keep in mind that x86's automatic and implicit memory
> barriers do not order prior stores against later loads.
>
> Hmmm... But didn't earlier performance measurements show that the bulk of
> the overhead was the delta-time computations rather than RCU accounting?

The bulk of the overhead was disabling and re-enabling
irqs around the calls to rcu_user_exit and rcu_user_enter :)

Of the remaining time, about 2/3 seems to be the vtime
stuff, and the other 1/3 the rcu code.

I suspect it makes sense to optimize both, though the
vtime code may be the easiest :)

--
All rights reversed