Re: earlycon: no match?

From: Robert Schwebel
Date: Tue May 05 2015 - 00:51:52 EST

Peter,

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 06:31:44PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:
> > You say it is a diagnostics message that indicates a misspelling.
> > I fail to see what is misspelled, so what does it diagnose?
>
> Ok, so this is only about the diagnostic message, and not about some
> other failure.
>
> I don't typically describe harmless diagnostics that didn't appear before
> as "broken", so I was having trouble believing what I was reading.
>
> Now that I understand that this is _only_ about a diagnostic message that
> didn't appear in previous kernels, I will direct to what I have written
> previously multiple times.
>
> Further, I would ask how _you_ would programmatically distinguish
> misspellings amongst the following console strings?
>
> console=pl012,...
> console=_pl011,...
> console=pl,...
> console=ttyAMA0,...

Only the last line gives me output, but with the warning. All others are
misspellings but output nothing. The last one gives me a misspelling
warning, but it is the one that makes the output work.

Obviously this was not tested on an ARM device with a serial console,
because it doesn't work there.

There should be an intended variant where *nothing* is misspelled in my
oftree+kernel commandline.

In that case, the system should come up, console comes out of the serial
line and earlycon is available. Then I should not get a diagnostic
message, becasue I did everything right.

Case A: consoleo=ttyAMA0

Result: - system boots with output on intended serial console
- warning about having the earlycon misspelled
- earlycon not operational, although driver supports it

Case B: console=pl011

Result: - no output at all, because system doesn't output to its
intented serial console.

Case C: ...?

Are there other things I'm supposed to do in order to do it right?

So both cases A+B are not fully working as intented, right?

I'd like to fix it, but in order to do so, I want to learn how it is
actually *intended* to work.

rsc
--
Pengutronix e.K. | |