Re: how to have the kernel do udev's job and autoload the right modules ?

From: linux cbon
Date: Tue May 05 2015 - 14:08:09 EST

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM, Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx> wrote:
> You can build in the needed modules or just use udev...

Sorry , but I don't want a monolithic or a huge kernel with many modules inside.
I want a minimal and modular kernel which only loads the needed modules.
If I understand, there are 2 choices left :
1/ the kernel without modules has a minimal builtin support for my
network (RTL8111/8168B)
and my sound (RS780 and SBx00) ... but it doesn't seem the case.
2/ I can use udev in userspace to detect and load needed modules.

For 2/, for my rc.sysinit , can you please give me 2 or 3 lines I need to add
, the minimal possible, to have udev working and my modules loaded ?
I would like to have the smallest and minimal sysinit as possible. Maybe you can
help me for udev minimal setup ?
I have read that busybox mdev creates /dev only but doesn't load modules,
so that's not what I want.
I already have /dev with devtmpfs , so udev or mdev shouldn't be doing
this anymore.

> Because in some cases you want to blacklist modules, have special parameters for
> them etc...
> It is a typical "kernel offers mechanism and userspace policy" thing.
> If you want them blindly loaded add them to your local.rc or build them in.
> Thanks,
> //richard

I don't add modprobes in my sysinit, because I find it's a dirty
workaround, it's manual,
it works only for one kind of hardware and not for another etc.
I also don't need to blacklist any modules, I don't see why I should
ever do this.
(to be honest , I also think the kernel should take care of the HW and
not the user...)
Once again I am not an expert in kernel internals and all the coding insides,
so please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
linuxcbon