Re: [RFC v1 07/11] net/mlx4: Cache irq_desc->affinity instead of irq_desc

From: Amir Vadai
Date: Thu May 07 2015 - 06:42:07 EST

On 5/5/2015 5:53 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2015, Amir Vadai wrote:

>>> Sigh. All of this is completely wrong. Polling in the internals of
>>> irq_desc is just crap.
>> Hi,
>>

>>> irq_set_affinity_notifier() has been added for exactly this purpose.
>> rmap is already registered on irq_set_affinity_notifier().
>> Actually, I did post an extension to the affinity notifier, to use
>> affinity chain which you rejected [1] (and BTW, convinced me that this
>> is not the way to do it).
>> Current code is according to your suggestion.
>>
>> [1] - https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/26/222
>
> No, it's not. I wrote:
>
> "So what's the point of adding notifier call chain complexity,
> ordering problems etc., if you can simply note the fact that the
> affinity changed in the rmap itself and check that in the RX path?"
>
> I did not tell you to fiddle in irqdesc, really.
>
> Thanks,
>
> tglx

It is problematic, since I didn't want to link the napi polling affinity
issue and CONFIG_CPU_RMAP being selected. That's why I CC'd you when
submitted the patch [1]. Guess it was my bad that I didn't do it in a
better way that would give you a chance to fully review it.

Anyway, I understand now that I shouldn't access irqdesc attributes from
a device driver.
I will see if I can live with disabling this whole feature (migrate a
currently looping NAPI when affinity is changed), when CONFIG_CPU_RMAP
is not selected. If not, I might modify the rmap code to give me this
information even when it is not selected. I assume that rmap notifier
callback can access this information.

Thanks,
Amir