Re: earlycon: no match?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Thu May 07 2015 - 18:25:34 EST

On Thu, 7 May 2015, Peter Hurley wrote:

> > How does this overload interact with multiple `console=' options being
> > present BTW, which one is considered the early console? Or do we support
> > driving multiple early consoles in parallel just as we do with regular
> > consoles?
>
> Please familiarize yourself with the existing 'console=' and 'earlycon='
> command line options documented in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

Thank you for your suggestion, however that documentation does not answer
my questions I am afraid (and neither does serial-console.txt). Otherwise
I wouldn't have asked them in the first place. If you don't know the
answers either, then it's OK to say: "I don't know".

E.g. (given the parameter aliasing we have) will:

`earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8 console=tty0'
`console=tty0 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8'

do what I expect it to, that is open the UART at 0x3f8 as an early console
and then hand it over to the ttyS0 device as respectively a secondary and
the primary (/dev/console) regular console? I've skipped options such as
baud rates for brevity.

Maciej