Re: [RFC v3 20/45] richacl: Automatic Inheritance

From: Jeremy Allison
Date: Wed May 13 2015 - 16:55:50 EST

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:47:44PM +0200, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> > On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:22:21PM +0200, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> >>
> >> That being said, a daemon like Samba can "fake" full Automatic
> >> Inheritance by creating files and then updating the inherited acls
> >> appropriately. This will inevitably be racy, but unless someone
> >> implements a way to create files without a mode, that's the closest
> >> Samba can get.
> >
> > On Windows systems the client fake (no quotes :-) full Automatic
> > Inheritance by creating files and then updating the inherited acls
> > appropriately.
>
> Hmm, interesting, are you *absolutely* sure about that? Is there
> anywhere I can look that up?

Hmm. Just realized we may be talking about different things :-).

In SMB/Samba the clients can create a file with no ACL, and
the directory ACL is auto inherited. *That* we fake in
Samba by creating then updating.

But in Windows there are the concept of "inherited" ACE
entries, which can come from parents of parents of parents
(etc.) objects. When a client modifies one of these on an
upper level directory, the server doesn't do the auto
updating that the vision of the file system might lead
you to expect - that updating is done by a tree walk
by the client.