Re: perf.data file format specification draft

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Thu May 14 2015 - 09:11:40 EST

Em Thu, May 14, 2015 at 02:25:17PM +0200, Andi Kleen escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Since there are more and more consumers I started a description of the
> on-disk perf.data format. This does not replace the kernel perf event
> description or the manpage, but describes the parts that perf record
> adds.
>
> So far it is still has some gaps and needs review. Eventually this should
> become part of the perf documentation.
>
> Steven, would be good if you could fill in some details on how trace
> data works.

I guess that would be Frédéric, and also I think this is a good
opportunity to remove some stuff that seem to be collected but unused,
namely a kallsyms copy and maybe something else.

> Adrian, would be good if you could fill in the missing bits for
> auxtrace/itrace.
> Everyone else, please review and add missing information.

Thanks for doing this work!

IIRC there is a presentation written by Jiri where parts of this is
documented, lemme try to find it...

- Arnaldo