Re: Window watchdog driver design

From: Andreas Werner
Date: Fri May 15 2015 - 13:08:41 EST

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 11:14:19PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 05/14/2015 10:43 PM, Andreas Werner wrote:

> >>Thanks a lot for the explanation.
> >>
> >>I would suggest to use a module parameter to enable the "lower timeout" functionality.
> >>
> >>Timeouts have to be specified in seconds.
> >>
> >>Hope this helps,
> >>Guenter
> >>

> >Thanks for the answer.
> >
> >The module parameter would be ok for me, but it would be better if i can enable/disable
> >the lower window by the application.
> >
> You could try adding a sysfs attribute.

Yes that would be the best solution for that. Module Parameter
would be also ok because normally you just want to enable the lower timeout
or not but if you can do this in the application this would be the best.

> >I know that the API defines the timout in seconds but what about ms? Is there no
> >watchdog out there which has timout values < seconds?.
> >
> The ABI is the ABI, it has been there for a long time, and it only
> supports second intervals.

Yes of course I'm with you.

> >In my case I can only set 2 timouts (1sec and 2sec) but I need to support all 8 timeout
> >values.
> >
> Kind of strict for a Linux watchdog. Most if not all other timeouts are much higher.
> The drivers for hardware with low maximum timeout values often implement
> a two-stage timeout, one handled in the driver that pings the actual hardware
> timeout, and a soft-timeout to be triggered from user space with a more relaxed
> timing.

Yes I've seen such kind of a watchdog but this is not possible for my design.
The watchdog must be used by the application because the application shall be
monitored and not the whole system/kernel.

> >The other thing is that my Watchdog can have differen timeout values depending
> >on the CPLD and the customer requirements. I can not read out this values, they are
> >only defined in the specification.
> >
> Normally you'd expect such platform specific details to be configured via devicetree
> or platform data if that is not available (or ACPI, of course).
>
> The userspace/kernel ABI/API needs to be standardized, so that user space doesn't
> need to know implementation details.

Yes you are right, that should be no problem.

> >This is why i had the idea with the table to only set some "indexes" for the timout
> >to handle all the cases.
> >
> Such an "index" would not be a well defined number. A standard application,
> such as watchdogd or systemd, would not know what to do with it.
>
> After all, the common use case of a watchdog driver is for it to interface with
> a standard userspace application, so its interface to userspace needs to be well
> defined. We can not permit "wildcards" such as redefining the meaning of a time
> interval from seconds to something driver-specific; that would break all kinds
> of applications.

Yes, i just wanted to discuss about it what possiblity I/we have to design a proper driver.

But it seems that this CPLD/Watchdog design is too specific to be also able to get it upstream.
I think I need to define my own ABI for this special watchdog to get all the requirements full filled.

> Guenter

Thanks a lot for discussing :-)

Regards
Andy