Re: [RFC v1] tree-wide: remove "select FW_LOADER" uses

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu May 21 2015 - 18:21:39 EST

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 01:45:49PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> The above history is just *one* set of reasons to remove all kernel
> "select FW_LOADER" entries. Another simple reason is that since
> FW_LOADER can only be disabled by an EXPERT and it defaults to y
> its now a superfluous select. We will ensure things build for you
> if using EXPERT but if you have selected EXPERT you should know
> what run time requirements you need.

Couple of notes only:

So the "depends" thing is a step backwards IMO because people would have
to go and enable FW_LOADER first. For the microcode loader, at least,
"select" is perfectly fine.

There's also the other aspect that this FW_LOADER thing ends up enabled
on 99.9% (!?) of the distro installations anyway, right? I.e., there's
always something needing firmware from userspace.

So the current "default y" behind EXPERT is probably the correct thing
anyway.

So yeah, send me the x86 microcode loader patch, I'll take it.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.