Re: [RFC v1] tree-wide: remove "select FW_LOADER" uses

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Fri May 22 2015 - 04:18:01 EST

On Fri, 2015-05-22 at 09:11 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > One thing I forgot last night: what about randconfigs? All that
> > functionality which selects FW_LOADER, won't boot anymore, right? I
> > mean, there are provisions to build fine even with FW_LOADER unset but
> > if you want to boot-test those kernels, you will artificially fail due
> > to missing request_firmware* things...

Luis also tried to explain to me that disabling FW_LOADER shouldn't make
the build fail. (And, of course, we could decide to not care about
randconfig builds that have EXPERT set. Maybe we could even special case
EXPERT in randconfig. But that would make randconfig builds less useful.
That's a separate issue, anyhow.)

> If you expect to _boot_ randconfig kernels, you better disable EXPERT.
> Still, your kernel can fail to boot due to some other critical dependency
> (does your kernel support your CPU?).
>
> If you want to boot randconfig kernels, create an allrandomconfig file
> listing all options that must have a certain value:
>
> $ cat allrandomconfig
> CONFIG_EXPERT=n
> CONFIG_MY_CRITICAL_FEATURE=y
> $
>
> and use "make randconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=1".

Booting (truly) randconfig builds is like booting allyesconfig or
allnoconfig builds: no one sane should do that, right?

Paul Bolle