Re: [RFC v1] tree-wide: remove "select FW_LOADER" uses

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Fri May 22 2015 - 05:06:54 EST

On Fri, 2015-05-22 at 10:44 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 22 May 2015 10:17:48 +0200,
> Paul Bolle wrote:
> > Luis also tried to explain to me that disabling FW_LOADER shouldn't make
> > the build fail. (And, of course, we could decide to not care about
> > randconfig builds that have EXPERT set. Maybe we could even special case
> > EXPERT in randconfig. But that would make randconfig builds less useful.
> > That's a separate issue, anyhow.)
>
> But FW_LOADER is a tristate, so it might be inconsistent if selected
> randomly? Luis' patch doesn't add depends but just removes select.

include/linux/firmware.h contains:
#if defined(CONFIG_FW_LOADER) || (defined(CONFIG_FW_LOADER_MODULE) && defined(MODULE)
int request_firmware(const struct firmware **fw, const char *name,
struct device *device);
[...]
#else
static inline int request_firmware(const struct firmware **fw,
const char *name,
struct device *device)
{
return -EINVAL;
}
[...]
#endif

So I _think_ the build should be fine.

But, in case of built-in users of request_firmware() and friends,
actually using that build might not go as expected. But if you set
EXPERT and disable FW_LOADER, or as you point out, set it to 'm', you
own the pieces when things break, don't you?

But now I'm doing Luis' job. I didn't sign off on that patch! So let's
hope Luis thought of all the corner cases.

Paul Bolle