Re: net/unix: sk_socket can disappear when state is unlocked

From: Mark Salyzyn
Date: Fri May 22 2015 - 15:59:35 EST

On 05/22/2015 11:16 AM, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
On Fri, May 22, 2015, at 18:24, Mark Salyzyn wrote:
On 05/22/2015 08:35 AM, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
I still wonder if we need to actually recheck the condition and not
simply break out of unix_stream_data_wait:

We return to the unix_stream_recvmsg loop and recheck the
sk_receive_queue. At this point sk_receive_queue is not really protected
with unix_state_lock against concurrent modification with unix_release,
as such we could end up concurrently dequeueing packets if socket is
DEAD.
sock destroy(sic) is called before sock_orphan which sets SOCK_DEAD, so
the receive queue has already been drained.
I am still afraid that there is a race:

When we break out in unix_stream_data_wait we most of the time hit the
continue statement in unix_stream_recvmsg. Albeit we acquired state lock
again, we could end up in a situation where the sk_receive_queue is not
completely drained. We would miss the recheck of the sk_shutdown mask,
because it is possible we dequeue a non-null skb from the receive queue.
This is because unix_release_sock acquires state lock, sets appropriate
flags but the draining of the receive queue does happen without locks,
state lock is unlocked before that. So theoretically both, release_sock
and recvmsg could dequeue skbs concurrently in nondeterministic
behavior.

The fix would be to recheck SOCK_DEAD or even better, sk_shutdown right
after we reacquired state_lock and break out of the loop altogether,
maybe with -ECONNRESET.

Thanks,
Hannes
I am trying to figure out _how_ to appease your worries.

Keep in mind what I hit was rare already, and resulted in a panic. Nondeterministic packet delivery during shutdown is a given, but if I buy that one can receive another frame after packet flush and RCV_SHUTDOWN, and SOCK_DEAD is set under lock then returning to the thread in wait, would you be more comfortable with:

do {
int chunk;
struct sk_buff *skb, *last;

unix_state_lock(sk);
last = skb = skb_peek(&sk->sk_receive_queue);
again:
- if (skb == NULL) {
+ if (!skb || sock_flag(sk, SOCK_DEAD)) {
unix_sk(sk)->recursion_level = 0;
if (copied >= target)
goto unlock;

- or -

+ skb = NULL;
+ if (!sock_flag(sk, SOCK_DEAD)) // check after loop, but not in again loop?
+ skb = skb_peek(&sk->sk_receive_queue
+ last = skb;

I know this does not give you -ECONNRESET (but we will we get sock_error(sk) disposition, another check for sock_flag if err == 0 could fix that)

Too far to deal with nondeterministic packet flow? getting a last packet or not does not seem worth the cycles of CPU trouble?

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn