Re: [RFC v3 14/45] richacl: Permission check algorithm

From: Andreas GrÃnbacher
Date: Wed May 27 2015 - 07:25:27 EST

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 01:04:11PM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
>> A richacl grants a requested access if the NFSv4 acl in the richacl
>> grants the requested permissions (according to the NFSv4 permission
>> check algorithm) and the file mask that applies to the process
>> includes the requested permissions.
>
> Is that right? Based on that I'd have thought that an acl like
>
> owner :r::mask
> group :-::mask
> other :-::mask
> bfields:r::allow
>
> would permit read to bfields in the case bfields is the file owner,
> because both the mask entries and the NFSv4 ACL would permit access.
>
> But I think it doesn't (because the "bfields" entry is subject to the
> group mask).

The problem at cause here that if we treat the acl and masks completely
separately, we can end up with acl/mask combinations that don't have a
representation as "normal" acls. For example, this:

owner:r::mask
group:-::mask
other:-::mask
group@:r::allow

would grant the owner read access when in the owning group, but
wouldn't grant the owning group access. This is handled by applying
the group mask to all group-class entries; see this comment in the
code:

/*
* Apply the group file mask to entries other than OWNER@ and
* EVERYONE@. This is not required for correct access checking
* but ensures that we grant the same permissions as the acl
* computed by richacl_apply_masks() would grant.
*/

There is no necessity to also apply this rule to user entries matching the
current owner though; we can change that here and in richacl_apply_masks().

> But if I'm right, I'm not sure how to describe the algorithm concisely.

Right, it's all a bit messy.

Thanks,
Andreas