mmap vs. read/write performance/overhead revisited

From: Wolfgang Draxinger
Date: Tue Jun 09 2015 - 15:08:10 EST

Hi!

So how is it _today_ with the current 4.x kernels when it comes to mmap vs read(2)/write(2)?

Either it's my Google-foo lacking or the most recent comment on the topic really dates back 15 years, but this is the only substancial background information relevant for Linux I did find:

... that was 15 years ago, the beaver was not even conceived, not to speak going into detox, or even its predecessor. So I'm wondering, how relevant are the deliberations of back then today?

I've got a very practical application for which this deliberation is relevant, but I don't want to spam the list with a technical lecture on ultra high speed OCT imaging.

Cheers,

Wolfgang