Re: subtle side effect of commit a1c48bb160f836

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Jun 18 2015 - 03:10:41 EST

Hi Vineet,

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Vineet Gupta
<Vineet.Gupta1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> commit a1c48bb160f8368 "Makefile: Fix unrecognized cross-compiler command line
> options" moved ARCH specific cc option handling before common -Os/O2 setup.
>
> For ARC this had a subtle effect that we can no longer over-ride generic -O2 with
> -O3, hence a performance regression observed going from 3.13 to 3.18 (the above
> commit went into 3.16)
>
> I want to understand how to properly fix this. Moving the include of arch makefile
> will bring back the old issue. I can introduce another option to set default optim
> level, but only arc/m32r care about it anyways.

Can we include $(srctree)/arch/$(SRCARCH)/Makefile twice?

Or perhaps we can not apply the extra -O* if there's already a -O* option?

Alternatively, as we already have CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE,
a(nother) Kconfig option may make sense.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds