Re: [RFC] drivers/clk/Kconfig: Change COMMON_CLK to tristate

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Thu Jun 18 2015 - 05:18:16 EST

York,

On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 14:20 -0700, York Sun wrote:
> Drop linux-i2c mailing list.

(Looking at MAINTAINERS suggests that, besides Michael, Stephen Boyd and
the linux-clk mailing list actually care about the COMMON CLK
FRAMEWORK.)

> Please review and tell me if this is a bad idea.

You waited less than three hours to ping us. That alone would be enough
for most people to ignore your message.

> I am working on a platform
> COMMON_CLK is not enabled. The clock I need is on a PCIe card. I don't think
> modify platform Kconfig is right. So modifying drivers/clk/Kconfig seems
> reasonable to me.

I have no idea what the problem is with COMMON_CLK for your driver. I
found a long thread (about three weeks ago) concerning this problem.
Apparently no solution was found. That's something you have to figure
out with the people involved with the CCF, I can't help you there.

What I do know is that I told you already, yesterday, that changing
COMMON_CLK to tristate is not needed for what it appears you want to do.
And, more importantly, that it will likely break stuff left and right
without additional changes (which this patch lacks).

Perhaps I was unclear. Ask for clarification if so. Perhaps I was wrong.
Then you're free to correct me. But, please, rate limit your patch
versions. You've sent a version on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. That
mainly will make people to filter out your patches. I won't be looking
at a new version for another week now, sorry.

Thanks,

Paul Bolle