Re: [REGRESSION] NFS is creating a hidden port (left over from xs_bind() )

From: Jeff Layton
Date: Thu Jun 18 2015 - 21:37:20 EST

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 21:08:43 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:50:51 -0400
> Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The interesting bit here is that the sockets all seem to connect to port
> > 55201 on the remote host, if I'm reading these traces correctly. What's
> > listening on that port on the server?
> >
> > This might give some helpful info:
> >
> > $ rpcinfo -p <NFS servername>
>
> # rpcinfo -p wife
> program vers proto port service
> 100000 4 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 3 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 4 udp 111 portmapper
> 100000 3 udp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 34243 status
> 100024 1 tcp 34498 status
>
> # rpcinfo -p localhost
> program vers proto port service
> 100000 4 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 3 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 4 udp 111 portmapper
> 100000 3 udp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 38332 status
> 100024 1 tcp 52684 status
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100227 2 tcp 2049
> 100227 3 tcp 2049
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100227 2 udp 2049
> 100227 3 udp 2049
> 100021 1 udp 53218 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 53218 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 53218 nlockmgr
> 100021 1 tcp 49825 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 49825 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 49825 nlockmgr
> 100005 1 udp 49166 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 48797 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 47856 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 53839 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 36090 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 46390 mountd
>
> Note, the box has been rebooted since I posted my last trace.

Ahh pity. The port has probably changed...if you trace it again maybe
try to figure out what it's talking to before rebooting the server?

> > Also, what NFS version are you using to mount here? Your fstab entries
> > suggest that you're using the default version (for whatever distro this
> > is), but have you (e.g.) set up nfsmount.conf to default to v3 on this
> > box?
> >

> My box is Debian testing (recently updated).
>
> # dpkg -l nfs-*
>
> ii nfs-common 1:1.2.8-9 amd64 NFS support files common to clien
> ii nfs-kernel-ser 1:1.2.8-9 amd64 support for NFS kernel server
>

> same for both boxes.
>
> nfsmount.conf doesn't exist on either box.
>
> I'm assuming it is using nfs4.

(cc'ing Bruce)

Oh! I was thinking that you were seeing this extra port on the
_client_, but now rereading your original mail I see that it's
appearing up on the NFS server. Is that correct?

So, assuming that this is NFSv4.0, then this port is probably bound
when the server is establishing the callback channel to the client. So
we may need to look at how those xprts are being created and whether
there are differences from a standard client xprt.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>