Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 24 2015 - 09:27:20 EST

* Martin Steigerwald <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 24. Juni 2015, 10:05:02 schrieb Ingo Molnar:
> > Not because I like it so much, but because I think the merge process
> > should be stripped of politics and emotion as much as possible: if an
> > initial submission is good and addresses all technical review properly,
> > and if the cost to the core kernel is low, then barring alternative,
> > fully equivalent and superior patch submissions, rejecting it does more
> > harm than good.
>
> Now that is an interesting challenge.
>
> As I realize more and more we are all feeling beings.
>
> Linus himself according to his own words as I received them wants to make
> perfectly sure that the developer who receives a message from him exactly
> knows how he feels, especially when he disagrees with a pull request and
> does not want to take it.

So that twists what I said: how 'I feel about a pull request' is a technical term
for: 'what is my subjective but rational technological opinion' about it.

That's not an invitation to be irrationally emotional. (I'm reasonably sure that's
what Linus meant there too, but I don't speak for him.)

Thanks,

Ingo