Re: perf, kprobes: fuzzer generates huge number of WARNings

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Mon Jul 06 2015 - 23:54:18 EST

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:

> On 2015/07/07 6:27, Vince Weaver wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I've been working on trying to get the perf_fuzzer to start fuzzing the
> > PERF_EVENT_IOC_SET_BPF so I've added some really hackish kprobe support.
> >
> > However before I can get to the BPF testing the kprobe code generates a
> > constant stream of WARNINGS which make the machine more or less useless
> > until I stop it. I've included a small selection here.
> >
> > Is this expected?
>
> Did you get same message without BPF hack? And also, could you tell us
> your kernel version and configuration?

It's a Hawell machine running 4.2-rc1. I can post the .config if it's of
interest.

Well the BPF hack is in the fuzzer, not the kernel. And it's not really a
hack, it just turned out to be a huge pain to figure out how to
manually create a valid BPF program in conjunction with a valid kprobe
event.

I did have to sprinkle printks in the kprobe and bpf code to find out
where various EINVAL returns were coming from, so potentially this is just
a problem of printks happening where they shouldn't. I'll remove those
changes and try to reproduce this tomorrow.

This is possibly a long standing issue, until now I never ran the fuzzer
as root so these particular code paths weren't tested.

Vince