Re: Re: perf, kprobes: fuzzer generates huge number of WARNings

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Wed Jul 08 2015 - 09:12:11 EST

On 2015/07/08 6:21, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 05:08:51PM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:

>>> You mean automatically generating valid bpf program? That's definitely hard.
>>> If you mean just few hardcoded programs then take them from samples or
>>> from test_bpf ?
>>
>> there's already code in trinity that in theory autogenerates bpf programs,
>> but for now I was just trying to hook up a short known valid one.
>>
>> it might not be possible to really test things though, as you need to be
>> root to create a kprobe and attach a BPF program, but my fuzzer when run
>> as root often does all kinds of other stuff that will crash a machine.
>> Is it ever planned to allow using bpf/kprobes without requiring full
>> CAP_ADMIN privledges?
>
> I suspect kprobes will forever be root only, whereas for bpf I'm thinking
> to introduce CAP_BPF, but before that we need to finish constant blinding
> and add address leak prevention. So not soon.

Currently I don't plan to do that. Actually systemtap allows that, but
with much bigger blacklist. I think we can make a tool which also
allows user to add new events on the limited functions (white-list).
But anyway, since these can expose kernel function addresses to users,
it is highly recommended to limit users by some capabilities.

>>> could you please elaborate on this further. Which EINVALs you talking about?
>>
>> When you are trying to create a kprobe and bpf file there's about 10
>> different ways to get EINVAL as a return value and no way of knowing which
>> one you are hitting. I added printks so I could know what issue was
>> causing the einval. (from memory, the problems I hit were not zeroing out
>> the attr structure, having a wrong instruction count, and a few others).

Hmm I must fix some parts of kprobes by changing retval or showing more
precise messages.

Thanks!

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
Linux Technology Research Center, System Productivity Research Dept.